Posted on September 10th, 2015
- Several recent developments (e.g., Iran deal, early start of the election cycle) have upset rank-and-file Republicans -- there's now an attempt (or threat) of removing Boehner as Speaker.
- Republicans need about 35 votes to do that; some political analysts think they might have 15-25.
- Another consequence of the recent rebellion is a revival of Tea Party.
- Potential (negative) consequences are:
- The likelihood of a government shutdown increases; deadline is the end of September.
- Concerns about the debt limit increase (most likely deadline by late November / early December).
- A short-term temporary extension of government funding would risk combining both government shutdown and debt ceiling debate to late November -- resembling the 2013 fiasco.